Saturday, July 27, 2013

A weekend in a green country where cashmere is abundant...


If you couldn't guess where I'm at by the title, I'm in Scotland. I'm currently in Edinburgh, Scotland to be exact. The town is absolutely beautiful with green hills, cobble stone streets, old castles and churches, and an abundance of friendly people walking the streets. The culture seems like a world of difference, even though Edinburgh is only a four and a half hour train ride away.



On the train ride here, I wrote a journal entry about what I was expecting in Scotland.  I expected an abundance of green  hills, a calm and quiet city, few advertisements (unlike London) and pubs down every street. Within hours after arriving Friday evening, I discovered my expectations were fulfilled.

There are hardly any advertisements in this town, and I actually enjoy that. Everywhere you look in London there is an advertisement right in your face.  This is the first time I have seen a large city without an abundance of advertising in I don't know how long. I understand that advertising is needed to create a growing market for businesses, but I am relieved to be somewhere without advertising. The little advertising in this town makes it seem that the businesses here do not need advertising, or they simply do not want it, maybe because they are old-fashioned.

There are people on the street that hand out fliers or coupons to restaurants, shows and such, but they are not in your face, and they do not approach you until they see that you are interested. No one here is pushy with their sales, they are respectable and helpful- very much unlike London.

Yesterday after Sean, David, Hussan, Holly and I arrived, we walked around the downtown area and found somewhere for dinner.  After dinner, we found ourselves among a street full of cashmere and wool clothing shops. I expected the wool and cashmere to be cheaper here, since this is where most of it is sourced, and it was cheaper than I expected. The cost of two cashmere sweaters was only 18 pounds. You wouldn't find that anywhere in America!  On our walk around the town yesterday we came across this beautiful castle.



We are planning on going to tour the castle on Sunday morning.  Tomorrow we are taking a 12 hour tour around Scotland, going through the Highlands and possibly going to find the Lochness Monster. If I see it, I'll be sure to post pictures on my blog!


Until then, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment