Sunday, July 21, 2013

Looks like I'm having fun.. Where has the time gone?


This week has absolutely flown by. I didn't even realize until today, Friday, that I hadn't written my two blogs for the week. I guess it's true that time flies when you're having fun!

This week started out great. As I mentioned in my last post, Mollie, Alisha and I went to the Yahoo London Wireless Music Festival on Sunday. There were 60,000 people attending the festival that day, 38 bands performing on 5 stages, and many vendors with food and drinks. The festival was Friday- Sunday, held at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

The entrance to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. 

We saw 2 Chainz, A$AP Rocky, Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z, and Rihanna. They are all mainstream artists in the U.S., so it was really neat to see them perform in another country. I didn't see very many advertisements for the festival, but once we got off the tube there were signs and security guards directing thousands of people to the venue. The security was handled well, but I was a bit disappointed at the lack of advertising in London.  Considering that Yahoo sponsored the event and signed a 6-figure deal, I expected the advertising to be abundant.

Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z performing at London Yahoo Wireless Music Festival. 


I researched the advertising after the event, and read an article from when Yahoo announced that they were sponsoring the event. According to the article, Robert Bridge, the international marketing director for Yahoo, declined to go into detail about the advertising plans, but said that Yahoo would use an "integrated marketing approach" for the festival.  Bridge also said the campaign would be the biggest campaign for Yahoo in some time.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1174142/

The crowd at London Yahoo Wireless Music Festival before Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake.

When I was researching the advertising the day after the festival, on the third page of the Google search I came across an article that said two people had been stabbed at the festival.  First of all, I was shocked that two people were stabbed and I didn't even know about it until the day after, and second of all I was shocked that this wasn't headline news.  If something like this were to happen in America, it would be on the first page of search results when I searched "London Yahoo Wireless Music Festival". The fact that it wasn't headline news right then was almost a relief. In the U.S. the headline news always covers murders, deaths, tragedies, thefts, etc. Basically the front-page news in the U.S. is always negative.  Needless to say, I've learned a lot about the American news system, just from seeing it from an outside perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment