Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A little taste of my learning here.


In my international advertising course, we are required to create a 60-advertisement tear sheet portfolio. A tear sheet portfolio is a binder filled with advertisements taken from newspapers, magazines, or even photos of advertisements, and a critique of every ad.  Since tear sheet portfolios are crucial in the advertising industry, and this project is a significant part of my course, I figured I would write a blog about it. 

I'm beginning to think London is a city of never ending advertisements. The more places I travel around London, the more I think that London is the advertisement capital of the world.  Yes, I have seen multiple ads more than once, but I see a new ad every day I'm here.  Seeing so many ads is a great learning experience for me, as I’m able to critique many ads throughout the day. I'm able to decide if they are effective or not, from my response to the ad, as well as my classmates. The colors, font types, font sizes, headline, copy and graphics are all critical elements in an advertisement. 



I apologize for the terrible quality of the photo, but this is one of my favorite ads. It was (and still is) very appealing to me. Every time I walk by the ad in the tube station, it grabs my attention. The cut out of Princess Diana is the most appealing part of this ad. The contrasting colors catches people's eye, especially the fact that it's inverted color (black background, white text).  The pink banner on the side stands out against the black, grey and white, which intrigues the viewer to look at the banner. The position of the headline and position of the text describing the location is creative, but makes the ad hard to read for people that are in a rush. The font choice for the headline, "Fashion Rules" needs to be thicker. I have seen many of these ads in several tube stations in London, placed in different parts of the tube station. The target market seems to be tourists, the average income London resident, as well as people interested in fashion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment